(8 Reasons a Vision is the Secret Element)
Here we go again… It’s time for 2022 Goal Setting. With the New Year is fast approaching, it’s time for 2022 goal setting. If you’re like me, you look forward to the New Year because of the new possibilities it brings. It’s a great time to start fresh and take stock of what you accomplished this past year. It’s also a time to DREAM about what the next year will bring.
BUT THEN …
February comes along and you’ve lost steam. Those goals that were so important just a month ago have been pushed aside. Your goals that were so important to you a month ago, have been reprioritized and you’ve lost inspiration. Then comes the spiral of self-flagellation. You beat yourself up because, once again, you weren’t able to hold onto those goals.
Do you ever wonder why you find it so hard to maintain focus on your goals come February?
Similarly, are you sick of feeling bad about yourself because you weren’t able to achieve the goals you set?
The fact is YOU’RE THINKING TOO SMALL. Your goals are too tactical.
What’s missing from your 2022 Goal Setting process is having a bigger VISION for your life.
Take the extra step to align your values with your vision and you have the recipe for success in 2022.
When your goals are not tied to a bigger meaning it allows you to easily disregard and deprioritize them.
STEP 1: CREATE A VISION FOR EVEN MORE EFFECTIVE 2022 GOALS
- Your vision should be 3-5 years in the future.
- It should be aspirational, even scare you a little bit.
- Your vision should answer the question “If there were no limitations, how do I want my life to look in 3 years.”
- You should have equal feelings of “this is what I really dream about my life becoming” and “I don’t know I can make it happen”…. Ignore second voice. Don’t second guess yourself. Be fearless in stating your intention.
- And finally, do not assign logic when creating your vision. Don’t think, I don’t have the money, time, or resources to make it happen. None of that matters.
8 reasons why creating a vision for your life is so critical to your 2022 Goal Setting Process
- It creates a blueprint of your future. You wouldn’t build a house without a blueprint. Having a design of what you want your life to look like is necessary to ensure your actions and your goals are not misaligned.
- You will no longer be on autopilot with your dreams. Without a vision people accept whatever happens to them in life. They are in the passenger seat of their lives while someone (or something) else is driving.
- Aligns WHAT you want in life with HOW you want it. It gives you the opportunity to connect your values (your ideas of what is important in your life) with your vision (what you want to achieve). DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE WORKSHEET HERE
- Your Vision will be your guiding light. When things get tough (and they will get tough) it will ground you in your higher purpose, it will serve as your motivation and will inspire you to keep traveling the path
- Keeps you focused. A vision helps you eliminate the things in your life (the busy work, the unnecessary tasks, the “shoulds”) from your to-do lists to focus on those actions that bring you closer to your vision. Always ask yourself, will this goal or task bring me closer to my future self?
- Gives you purpose and meaning. Consequently, there will be a pep in your step as you KNOW you are creating the life YOU WANT to live, with intention and on purpose. Check out my blog on Passionate Living to ensure your vision is infused with more meaning.
- Helps you make decisions. Remember “No” is a complete sentence. When you are laser focused, you will find it easier to say “No”, maybe add a “thank you” in there, when people offer you “opportunities” that lead you astray from your vision.
- You will find your tribe. When you are working from a vision, it will place you in proximity to the people you need around you to learn, grow and assist you in making your vision a reality
STEP 2: CREATE ACCOUNTABILITY
Make sure you’re not creating your life’s vision then closing it in your journal, never to be looked at again. Prominently post your 3–5-year vision where you can see it. Make sure you don’t just put this vision statement in a drawer and ignore it. Display it on your bathroom mirror, prominently on your desk, or on your refrigerator. Somewhere where you will see it every day, multiple times per day.
For this reason, it is also important to share your vision with someone (and share this blog post with them as well). In fact, challenge them to share their vision with you. Not only that, but get together every month, every quarter, whatever frequency feels right to share status and updates on your vision.
STEP 3: CREATE GOALS FOR THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE THAT GET YOU CLOSER TO YOUR VISION
Create goals for the next 90 days but not too far in advance so it doesn’t seem overwhelming. Make sure your 2022 goal setting process has a direct impact in making your vision a reality. Aligning your tactical goals with your bigger vision will ensure you get to where you need to be. With this in mind, think SMART Goals
As you look at your daily to-do list, ask “does this action bring me closer to my future vision?” Does it really need to get done… today? or by me? Can someone else do this for me? And make sure you have at least one action (no matter how big or how small) that aligns with your vision. Consistent action, every day, will ensure success.
FINAL REMINDER –
UNDERSTAND that your vision will be revised overtime. It’s ok to update it, tweak it, and if done thoughtfully and without fear driving your decision, change it completely. Just the act of creating a vision you’ll be able to gain more clarity as time goes on of WHAT YOU REALLY WANT in life.